Nasal high flow oxygen therapy
Nasal high flow oxygen therapy aims to deliver a high flow of oxygen while preserving the natural conditions of humidity and heat existing in the lungs during spontaneous ventilation (humidification generated by the upper airways). Our Monnal™ T75, Monnal™ T60 Advanced and Monnal™ T60 hospital ventilators. incorporates a high nasal flow oxygen therapy function which allows high flow rates to be delivered (from 4 to 80l/min for adults, 2 to 60l/min for children and infants), at an adjustable FiO2 from 21% to 100 %, in combination with a heated humidifier, its specific circuit and a nasal cannula.
Why use oxygen therapy equipment in the hospital?
The use of oxygen therapy equipment in the hospital is particularly indicated in the treatment of severe to moderate hypoxemia.
Nasal High Flow Oxygen Therapy is characterized by many advantages:
- thanks to the high flow delivered covering the patient's peak flow, Nasal High Flow Oxygen Therapy allows rinsing of the dead space1.
- the FiO2 actually delivered to the lungs is more controlled2
- Nasal High Flow Oxygen Therapy delivers positive expiratory pressure in the range of 4 to 5 cmH2O, maintained throughout the respiratory cycle when the patient's mouth is closed (impossible with low flow nasal cannulas)3
- Nasal High Flow Oxygen therapy also provides additional comfort for the patient who can continue to talk, eat, drink4
- Nasal High Flow Oxygen Therapy is a simple procedure for medical teams to implement5
1 emergency 2012 (chap 28): high flow oxygen therapy, interest and limits
2 emergencies 2012 (chap 28): high flow oxygen therapy, interest and limits
3 emergencies 2012 (chap 28): high flow oxygen therapy, interest and limits
4 The New England Journal of Medicine 2015; 372:2185-2196
5 emergencies 2012 (chap 28): high flow oxygen therapy, interest and limits
The Monnal™ range and Nasal High Flow Oxygen Therapy
By combining our ventilator with a heated humidifier, its specific circuit and a nasal cannula, you have a single piece of equipment for your ventilation strategies:
- Integrated solution to optimize space
- Alternating NIV and HFOT (High Flow Oxygen Therapy) sessions quickly and safely
- Simplifies the training of medical teams
- Unique equipment to reduce the cost of care
In addition, Monnal™ T75, Monnal™ T60 Advanced and Monnal™ T60 continue to monitor Pmax during high flow oxygen therapy sessions, which allows physicians to adapt the flow to respect the patient's comfort and can be useful in cases of repeated apneas or occlusions.
High-flow oxygen therapy equipment: the pathologies and services concerned in the hospital
Nasal high flow oxygen therapy can be used in different situations in the hospital:
- in case of dyspnea or non-hypercapnic hypoxemia in the emergency department
- in intensive care in the context of hypoxemic respiratory failure;
- before an intubation;
- for weaning from NIV
- for chronic diseases of the respiratory tract
High Flow Oxygen Therapy is increasingly used in various hospital departments: SAMU, Emergency, Intensive Care Units, Recovery Rooms, Pneumology, Pediatrics, Resuscitation.